TøjhusetAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
The Tøjhus Museum (Danish: Tøjhusmuseet and Statens Forsvarshistoriske Museum) is a museum of military history and arms on Slotsholmen in central Copenhagen, Denmark. It is located in Christian IVs arsenal Tøjhuset (English: The arsenal), from which it takes its name. Tøjhuset was built from 1593-1604 as an arsenal, part of a new naval harbour constructed by King Christian IV. It is 163 metres long and built around a central harbour basin. The building served as an arsenal well into the 19th century but already from the 1680s, it also housed historic collections. In the 1880s the building had become too small and a new arsenal was constructed in what is now known as the district Islands Brygge. In 1926 the current museum was founded in the building.
- Image Size
- 5616x3744 / 11.9MB
- Contained in galleries