Christiansborg PalaceAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
Valdemars Castle was built by King Christian IV (1588–1648) between 1639 and 1644 by his architect Hans van Stenwinkel.
The king’s plans for his new castle were that the house should become the home for his son Valdemar Christian, who was born to him by Kirstine Munk. King Christian was renowned for his interest in building. On the island of Tåsinge, belonging to his mother in law Ellen Marsvin, the king decided to build a castle for his young son. However, Valdemar Christian never moved in. He was killed in battle in Poland in 1656.
In 1678 the naval hero, Admiral Niels Juel, was given title to the castle and the land on Tåsinge after his victory over Sweden in the Battle of Køge Bay in 1677. The estate was transferred to him as payment for the Swedish ships captured in the battle.
- Image Size
- 5616x3744 / 13.3MB
- Contained in galleries
- Royal Denmark